How Faith And Hope Work Together To Give You Confidence in God
Faith and hope are vitally connected and it’s important to understand the value they have together so we can have an unshakeable confidence in God.
To be honest, both faith and hope have always been a bit of a mystery for me. By nature, they both seem a bit vague. You cannot touch them, hear them or see them yet you see the evidence of each: people saved, prayers answered and a joyful outlook of the future, to name a few.
One thing we do know, there is a vital connection between faith and hope. One cannot live without the other.
Thoughts on Faith and Hope
It says in Hebrews 11:1 “Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.”
Volumes of books have been written on the subject, but I’m going to lay out some thoughts that have personally helped me connect the two.
1. Faith is given by God to know God.
Faith’s object is God (His goodness and power). Faith grows through revelation of who He is by the Holy Spirit. It gains strength as we know God better.
2. Faith’s anchor is assessing accurately WHO God is.
This is vital. When we understand God rightly then we can confidently say, “all things are possible with God.” When we rightly understand who God is and continue to grow in this understanding then our faith increases. On the other hand, when we misunderstand who God is, faith wanes and hope is not even in view. This is huge!
3. Faith is active.
Faith lives and accesses God’s Kingdom. Faith has movement. Faith is best defined by demonstration.
4. Faith is the substance of hope and hope awakens faith.
There is an interactive dynamic between faith and hope. Faith gives life to hope and hope strengthens our faith. You can’t have one without the other.
5. Faith is coming into agreement with what God is saying and hope anticipates its reality.
Every promise, every prophetic word God has given carries with it life that can only be activated by faith. Faith comes into agreement and believes each promise, prophetic word and/or written Word.
6. The proof of our faith is hope.
When we have hope in God we prove that faith is active.
7. Without faith, hope is only a wish (powerless). But when we have hope in God, faith is powerful.
A wish is hope without God. It’s something we long for but it’s generally not connected to God. Biblical hope has as it’s foundation faith in God.
8. Unbelief honors what we see as impossible. Faith honors what we believe is possible.
Unbelief is simply faith in the inferior.
9. Hope looks to the future while faith lays hold of the present.
10. By faith we understand (Hebrews 11:3)
Most of us need to understand something first before we have faith but that’s not what the Bible says. The Bible says that we have faith in order to understand. Faith is understanding.
11. Faith is not presumption.
The difference between faith and presumption is faith is our response to God’s word of revelation, presumption is our expectation of God to do something He did not say.
Regardless of what we are going through we can put our faith in God and find hope. When we rightly discover God we will undoubtedly find faith and be filled with hope. When both of these are active, we will truly have an unshakable confidence in God to meet every situation we face.
1. Is there any part(s) of this post that stood out to you. If so, let me know by adding a comment below.
2. Take a second and use the social media buttons to share this post with your network of friends. Much appreciated!