Helping others live and lead their personal and professional lives from the pursuit of knowing God. As a result I write on pursuing God, leadership, personal growth, church, writing, coaching and culture.AboutSubscribe!
Giving thanks in all circumstances is the most reliable indicator of my spiritual health.
A biblically grateful and thankful person is someone who appreciates both how undeserving he/she is before God and how generous God is to them.
But, how do we honestly give thanks when we face difficult situations and circumstances in our lives?
Giving Thanks In All Circumstances
I Thess. 5:18 “Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.”
Recently, I have faced events that would challenge the very foundation of this verse. In the past several months I’ve experienced personal loss, family members dying and outright injustices.
Yet the verse remains, “give thanks in all circumstances.”
As I meditated on 1 Thess. 5:18, the Lord revealed a simple truth, making the verse clear to me. To be honest, this truth was right in front of me but I didn’t see it.
Here it is.
The verse says that we are to give thanks “in” all circumstances NOT “for” all circumstances. The Bible never tells me to give thanks FOR injustice or loss but to give things IN them.
I can give thanks IN all circumstances because God IS found in each one. Yes, God is found in each circumstance, even the most difficult ones, if we just look hard enough.
Three Things to Consider About Giving Thanks In All Circumstances
- We give thanks because every circumstance, whether it be victory or tragedy, loss or gain, joy or grief comes with the reality of finding God. Our greatest struggle, our most demanding test, every difficult question, we give thanks to God because He is with us right in the middle of it all. When we look beyond our circumstance we will see God.
- We give thanks because the Lord understands and feels what we are feeling. He is not aloof, not unconcerned or emotionally disconnected.
- We give thanks IN all circumstances because He promised that He will never leave us nor forsake us and He’s given us the Holy Spirit as comforter and teacher. The Holy Spirit is incredibly active in ministering to our pain or loss.
The Result of Giving God Thanks In All Circumstances
When we gain revelation on this truth then our thanksgiving to God doesn’t rely on the circumstances around us, but rather, the strength we find from a good God in us.
I am discovering that giving thanks to God in all circumstances creates security and hope, it keeps my heart healthy and un-offended.
The circumstances we face may be grim and our questions may go unanswered but if we give thanks in the middle of these circumstances we will come to know God in ways we could never imagine.
Latest posts by Greg Simas (see all)
- Why God’s Laws Are So Good For Us - Jul 14, 2015
- Leading Through Difficult Challenges. Five Lessons I’m Learning - Mar 31, 2015
- Finding Your Place IN The Wall. Surround Yourself With These People - Feb 3, 2015