Jesus is the perfect model of a One Pursuit life. The depth of relationship with His Father in heaven and the glory of His power on earth is unmatched. His life demonstrates the capacity of living in relationship and rulership. He is the supreme model of how to be anointed with power through an unyielding devotion to God.
I don’t know about you but invading the impossible out of unyielding devotion to the Lord is definitely a daily event I would like to see in my own life. I know what it’s like to see people instantly healed and set free. There is nothing more satisfying than partnering with Jesus to see darkness defeated and His glory fill the earth.
But arriving at this place in my life hasn’t been easy. I have had to unlearn and relearn much. But I hold to the conviction that a person living out a One Pursuit life will be used by the Lord supernaturally.
So where do we begin? How do we start moving in the supernatural?
1. Value Jesus Supremely. Before we can do signs and wonders Jesus needs to be the sign and wonder. What I mean is that He not only needs to be our focus but our very breath. He is to be our Great Treasure and our exceedingly great reward. Jesus is never the means to an end, He is the end.
2. Be convinced that Jesus is the perfect model of the normal Christian life. Jesus had no supernatural characteristics in and of himself. Though He was God, He emptied himself and chose to live as a man fully dependent on God (Phil.2:6-8). This is crucial.
Acts 2:22 “Men of Israel, listen to this: Jesus of Nazareth was a man accredited by God to you by miracles, wonders and signs, which God did among you through him, as you yourselves know.”
If we see Jesus doing the miracles as God then we are left to believe that the greater works he promised can not be attained. But if we see Jesus as a man fully surrendered and dependent on the Father then he becomes the model for all humanity.
John 5:19 “Jesus gave them this answer: “I tell you the truth, the Son can do nothing by himself; he can do only what he sees his Father doing, because whatever the Father does the Son also does.”
3. Believe that signs, wonders and miracles are for today. It is flat-out astonishing that people hold to the Cessanist view of signs and wonders ceasing when the scripture was canonized around 350 AD. Nothing can be further from the truth. It is staggering to see so much documented proof of people being supernaturally healed. It’s unprecedented. God is pouring out His Spirit all over the earth. I think much of the Cessanist theology is given life based on people’s lack of experience and desire to avoid responsibility.
If Jesus lived the normal Christian life then I have a responsibility to pursue His lifestyle. We can never bring the scriptures down to our level of experience. The Word never changes and His heart will always be moved to heal us in every dimension.
4. Believe that everyone, including you, can move in power. That’s right, everyone can be doing this. This is not for a select few but available to all. Our responsibility is to attach faith to His promises.
5. Step Out. The disciples were not trained rabbis or teachers of the law. These men were ordinary, just like you and me.
Acts 4:13 “When they saw the courage of Peter and John and realized that they were unschooled, ordinary men, they were astonished and they took note that these men had been with Jesus”
Spending time and developing a deep life in God provides the impetus to step out and successfully do the works. Yet, until we step out and do it, we will be locked up in right theology that never sees results. This is the hardest step for me.
A football player does not want to study the film and look at a chalkboard with a bunch of X’s and O’s all day long. Though it’s necessary, it’s in the game where we win and lose. We need to get on the field and get in the game! Step out.
Out of our fascination with Jesus, God is raising up a company of people who will display His power. Everyone of us are at different levels with the Lord yet His will never changes. You and I are born to live supernaturally.
YOUR TURN: What has been your experience in the supernatural? Do you agree that all believers can move in power? Out of five things mentioned above, which one are you most successful in and which one the least?