I once again signed in to my Chronological One-Year Bible through YouVersion and I’m excited about going through it.
I, for one, am in total favor of going through the entire Bible year-in and year-out. As a result, I have grown to love the “whole-council” of God’s Word because I am reading it in its entirety. I also read many other portions of scripture that interest me and that I sense the Holy Spirit leading me into.
Reading the Bible consistently through the year still isn’t that easy. Sometimes it just takes work. I don’t know how else to say it. There are times when things are easy and revelation is popping off the page. Then there are times when we feel like we are just reading words. It happens.
However, I want to encourage you that if you earnestly commit to reading the Bible daily and seek to learn what the Bible is all about, you will discover the greatest source of inspiration, guidance and revelation your heart has ever known.
Psalm 1:2 “But his delight is in the law of the LORD, and on his law he meditates day and night”
I’ve jotted down 7 things that are helping me stay consistent in reading the Bible daily throughout the year. I have listed them below. I hope they benefit you as much as they do me.
1. Understand that the more you read the Bible the more the Holy Spirit will make it come alive in you. Keep reading.
3. Take the first few minutes and Pray in the Spirit before you begin reading.
4. Simply ask the Holy Spirit to teach you. He is the one who searches the deep things of God and makes them known to us.
5. Read the Word because it’s the right thing to do. If we read only when we feel like it we will never be successful in it. In the Kingdom delight follows obedience.
6. Recognize there is both warfare and blessing around the Word of God. Push through obstacles and get the blessing that awaits the reader of His Word. If you mess up, so what, decide to keep going. Never let discouragement keep you from moving forward.
7. Find someone you can partner with. Right now I have 4 other people who are reading the same plan with me. You will find that partnering with others will take you so much further in your Bible reading. If you are on the same reading plan as me I would love to know!
This is a short list. What kind of reading plan are you using? Are you reading the Bible in a Year? What other thoughts would you like to add out of your own journey?