It’s been interesting to see how a culture shifts within a church over the course of a few years. When the Lord spoke to us clearly about Harvest House Church becoming Convergence House of Prayer I really did not know what to expect.
What I do know is that this is what we are supposed to be doing. The Lord has confirmed this many times over with the prophetic word and in the hearts of leadership.
Knowing the Lord has spoken creates a stake in the ground where we sense His pleasure and are confident in the direction we are going.
Not too many leaders have taken a church and successfully shifted it to a House of Prayer. I think we are on our way, but believe me, it keeps us on our knees trusting Him as we navigate a shifting culture.
In my quest to better understand how church cultures shift, I just finished reading, “Cracking Your Churches Culture Code” by Samuel Chand. The author helps define a churches culture and what actually happens as the culture changes. I highly recommend the book.
Chand reveals a natural process that unfolds as a culture changes. In order for a culture to successfully change it will move through five stages
- Entrepreneurial Stage – Discovery phase. This is when the Lord is opening the eyes of leadership and points them in a new direction. Leadership can now see what can be and that what the Lord is stirring in their hearts is actually possible. They begin moving forward, exploring what God is saying and experimenting with how it can actually work.
- Emerging Stage – Growth phase. Here the vision begins to grow in the hearts of a wider group. It’s important that leadership has solid credibility and can be trusted. If these are not in place then the likelihood of a healthy transition is distant.
- Established Stage – Stability phase. The direction is embraced and systems are being put in place. The course of action is met with a plan to move people from one step to another.
- Eroding Stage – Survival phase. In every culture there is an eroding stage. I really don’t know why this is but nonetheless it is part of the flow. This is where the new culture is vulnerable. It’s important at this stage to re-kindle the vision with fresh creativity that empower the core values.
- Enterprising Stage – The re-firing stage. Here leaders must return to the Entrepreneurial stage to gain fresh vision and new ways to strengthen the culture. This needs to happen on a regular basis to maintain a growing and healthy culture. New discoveries are experienced around the new cultures core values.
I realize that there is movement going on in every phase at Convergence. I sense overall we are somewhere in the Establishing phase.
I really don’t want to get caught up in the mire of structure, yet these “stages” help give me a roadmap for the journey ahead.
I’d be interested in your input regarding this —